If you're looking for a unique opportunity to help establish a Technical Operations organization with the oversight to design, implement, and lead a group responsible for delivering on Payroc's growth and industry-changing strategic objectives - read on.
At Payroc, we're building the next generation of capabilities that powers our merchant-first ecosystem. The radical and responsible delivery of value is our mandate. We believe that focused and empowered teams can do great things. You'll find that we're a curious, driven, and pragmatic bunch who believe in outcomes over outputs, and we're looking for like-minded individuals to join us on our journey.
What we're obsessive about:
- Small teams, big things: We'll convey the outcomes our merchants require, provide you with the support and tools to succeed, and then we let you work your magic, with no needless processes to get in your way.
- Develop, grow, thrive: We promote a philosophy where you can develop and grow as an individual and team. We encourage you to approach problems in unique ways, try new techniques, learn from your colleagues and master your craft.
- Real people, real problems: We develop solutions to solve real-world challenges faced by our merchants. Our Team Members collaborate to build the right things the right way. We are curious about how things work, and we believe that sharing ideas and insights leads to better, more innovative products.
The Engineer will be responsible for network and systems architecture, design, administration, documentation, configuration, optimization, and troubleshooting across the Payroc enterprise. The individual will participate in the ongoing support of system/network assets using current and emerging technologies. With an internal SLA objective of 5 9's, s/he will maintain overall capability health in a 24/7 environment and carry out tasks based on business objectives and strategy.
The successful candidate must be a self-starter, be able to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously, own deliverables end to end, prioritize workload effectively, and thrive in a dynamic environment. This individual must also work well under pressure to meet ongoing and overlapping deadlines within short time constraints. Candidates must possess the ability to translate business requirements and build pragmatic and elegant solutions in Salesforce.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide senior TOps leadership on all design and standards issues including analysis, development, implementation, as well as training and mentoring of technologies
- Evaluate, test, develop, and implement complex technical solutions to address a variety of business problems. This includes hardware, software, configurations standards, and creating solutions with a specific focus on driving business value.
- Responsible for supporting system and network infrastructure including but not limited to switches, routers, load balancers, firewalls, compute, storage, and virtualization assets. Oversees proactive grooming, life cycle management, upgrades, capacity management, and high priority incident, change, and problem management.
- Manages highly visible/risky changes and ensures infrastructure is running efficiently. Acts as TOps liaison to peers in Engineering, Architecture, Information Security, and Production Support.
- Works closely with Engineering and Security to stay abreast of upcoming TOps related initiatives, as well as notifies these groups of re-occurring issues within the TOps realm.
- Ensure the availability, performance, and operational integrity of the Systems and Network Engineering domain.
- Align systems solutions/technologies to complement and support business/strategic plans.
- Make recommendations for emerging, new, and altered technologies that would contribute to system productivity and cost savings improvements.
- Establish system management criteria and develop, maintain, and monitor procedures and policies.
- Coordinate appliance and software upgrades with vendors and teams as necessary.
- Coordinate capacity planning and analyze information for hardware tuning and integration.
- Issue technical bulletins to inform users of system changes and act as technical advisor.
- Provide CTO office with regular reports detailing network usage, security, and voice system service levels, maintenance, turnaround, and response times.
- Schedule and coordinate with the Security team to conduct System/Network and Information Security assessments.
- Coordinate the development of a comprehensive Network and Systems Disaster Recovery Plan, maintain the plan, and conduct periodic testing.
- Develop written procedures, engineering drawings, and other technical documentation.
- Coordinate and direct preventative maintenance of significant systems components.
- Communicate to the general organization on the support efforts of project-related items.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently with competing deadlines.
- Limited supervision and direction are provided, as this individual can operate and drive results and set priorities independently.
- Champion standard change management and configuration policies.
- Demonstrate sound judgment in solving problems as well as identifying problems in advance and proposing solutions.
- This individual must work effectively with Staff to VP level employees within the function, across functions, and with external parties.
- To be successful, this individual must demonstrate favorable results through regular leadership and influencing others.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in Windows/Linux/Cloud environments.
- Commitment to achieving 100% uptime.
- Must have at least 5+ years of experience with enterprise-level system design and support.
- Deep technical expertise and hands-on with Windows Server administration, Linux, Active Directory, Exchange, IIS, DHCP, DNS, DFSR, etc.
- Bash/PowerShell/Perl/Python or other scripting.
- Strong knowledge and experience with data center Hyper-V or VMWare/ESXi virtualization technologies.
- Experience managing iSCSI SAN/NAS-based storage arrays.
- Knowledge of LAN, Routing, Switching, IP Networking, VPN technologies, DNS, VLANs, and Layer 2/3 protocols.
- Experience with Disaster Recovery planning and implementation.
- Experience managing Antivirus/Spyware, spam reduction, and patch management tools.
- Experience with network security such as certificate management in applications.
- Experience with monitoring tools to identify potential failures and support forensic investigations.
- Experience managing the day-to-day operations of the data centers.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to have completed multiple, complex technical projects.
- Ability to effectively prioritize, research problems, document, execute, and manage tasks within a dynamic and fast-paced environment.
- Must be self-motivated and detail-oriented.
- Ability to work on a team and independently.
Additional Qualifications a Successful Candidate May Have
- Knowledge and Experience of VoIP implementation and support would be a plus.
- Automation and configuration management exposure (Salt, Ansible, Chef or the like)
- AWS/Azure experience would be beneficial.
- Converged and Hyperconverged hosting exposure.
- Microsoft Windows Cluster/Multi-Site would be a huge plus.