Senior Database Engineer and Administrator I (SQL Server)
Manager, Database Engineering and Administration
At Payroc, we're building the next generation of capabilities that powers our merchant-first ecosystem. The radical and responsible delivery of value is our mandate. We believe that focused and empowered teams can do great things. You'll find that we're a curious, driven, and pragmatic bunch who believe in outcomes over outputs, and we're looking for like-minded individuals to join us on our journey.
What we're obsessive about:
- Small teams, big things: We'll convey the outcomes our merchants require, provide you with the support and tools to succeed, and then we let you work your magic, with no needless processes to get in your way.
- Develop, grow, thrive: We promote a philosophy where you can develop and grow as an individual and team. We encourage you to approach problems in unique ways, try new techniques, learn from your colleagues and master your craft.
- Real people, real problems: We develop solutions to solve real-world challenges faced by our merchants. Our Team Members collaborate to build the right things the right way. We are curious about how things work, and we believe that sharing ideas and insights leads to better, more innovative products.
As a Senior Database Engineer and Administrator, you'll work closely with the Database Engineering and Administration Manager to help strengthen the DEA team as a center of excellence. You will help build upon the existing foundations by maintaining the databases' performance, integrity, and security. It is an exciting opportunity to get involved in the early stages of team development and contribute towards its success.
We're seeking an experienced, self-motivated SQL Server engineer to focus on database design, development, and administration. The individual will work closely with Engineering and Technical Operations teams to build/deploy scalable and highly efficient implementations in our 24x7 environment. Deploying to a real-time transaction processing environment, the ideal candidate will apply a solid understanding of database design principles, indexing design strategies, and strong SQL development skills. Also, that candidate is expected to be self-starters who can operate well under various situations and types of projects, ranging from a team of one to a team of many.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with engineering teams on logical/physical database design to support new and existing application development. Maintain data models and keep them current.
- Design and develop schema, indexes, SQL queries, and stored procedures.
- Maintain database specifications, data dictionary, design/coding standards, and complementary documentation.
- Performs problem resolution and root cause analysis along with recommending and implementing preventive techniques.
- Analyze SQL query plans and leverage diagnostic tools to identify performance bottlenecks and take appropriate corrective actions to remediate.
- Evaluate the merits/ benefits of available system upgrades and enhancements - implement as necessary.
- Build HA and DR systems using Failover Clustered instances, Availability Groups, Multi-site clusters, and Replication across geo-diverse data centers.
- Commit to achieving 5 9's up-time of all OLTP production databases.
- Work with Engineering teams and Technical Operations in reviewing and preparing database deployments.
- Ensure all database servers are backed up in a way that meets the business's Recovery Point Objectives (RPO).
- Test backups to ensure we can meet the business' Recovery Time Objectives (RTO).
- Develop in-depth knowledge of business processes facilitated by our software products.
- Keep abreast of industry best practices, services, and supporting tooling.
- Provide hands-on design, development, and code reviews.
- In-depth knowledge of SQL Server architecture – engine, query processing, query optimization, locking etc.
- Work as part of a team and provide after-hours support when required.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience.
- 7+ years of SQL Engineering / Administration, in-depth experience with SQL Server 2012+.
- Majority of experience must be associated with supporting 24x7 OLTP and data warehouse/BI environments.
- Strong knowledge of SQL Server architecture – engine, query processing, query optimization, locking etc.
- Experience automating the execution and notification of database-related processes and alerts.
- Experience configuring MS SQL for high availability and Disaster Recovery using SQL Clustering and Always On Availability Groups.
- Knowledge of scripting languages, e.g. PowerShell, VBScript, T-SQL.
- Knowledgeable regarding storage systems.
- Knowledge of SQL replication technologies desirable.
- Possess some experience with security and encryption.
- MCSA/MCSE a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Unfortunately, we're unable to support H1 or J1 visas at this time.
Job Classification: Salaried