If you're looking for a unique opportunity to help establish an enterprise architecture team with the oversight to design, implement, and lead a group responsible for delivering on Payroc's growth and industry-changing strategic objectives - read on.
At Payroc, we're building the next generation of capabilities that powers our merchant-first ecosystem. The radical and responsible delivery of value is our mandate. We believe that focused and empowered teams can do great things. You'll find that we're a curious, driven, and pragmatic bunch who believe in outcomes over outputs, and we're looking for like-minded individuals to join us on our journey.
What we're obsessive about:
- Small teams, big things: We'll convey the outcomes our merchants require, provide you with the support and tools to succeed, and then we let you work your magic, with no needless processes to get in your way.
- Develop, grow, thrive: We promote a philosophy where you can develop and grow as an individual and team. We encourage you to approach problems in unique ways, try new techniques, learn from your colleagues, and master your craft.
- Real people, real problems: We develop solutions to solve real-world challenges faced by our merchants. Our Team Members collaborate to build the right things the right way. We are curious about how things work, and we believe that sharing ideas and insights leads to better, more innovative products.
The Staff Software Engineer is responsible for the leading design and development activities associated with the of the Payroc API, switch, and gateway platforms. The Architect oversees an infrastructure that supports real-time capabilities across a nationwide payment processing network. This role plays a significant part in aligning the architecture and technology vision with the strategic direction of the company, fostering awareness, and appropriate application of this vision at all levels of the organization.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist in establishing technical direction across the organization with a sound and pragmatic approach.
- Contribute to the maintenance of formal architecture and technology roadmap.
- Identify architectural challenges and lead the creation of a strategy for the enterprise, making architectural decisions that have an impact across the company.
- Prepare and document the enterprise architecture vision and strategy as well as critical approaches to broad architectural concerns affecting various areas of the company.
- Participate in the definition of architecture principles, styles, policies, and standards; create architectural mechanisms to address concerns that have a broad impact (e.g., system integration across the enterprise); coach feature teams to follow them.
- Produce and maintain useful and usable documentation of work, and regularly contribute to the general Payroc Engineering body of knowledge.
- Ability to pinpoint strengths and weaknesses in an enterprise system, and effectively advocate for appropriate solutions to shortcomings.
- Participate in coding activities that are in support of design outcomes - up to 50%.
- Monitor new technologies, applications of technology, or ways to synthesize technologies into strategic opportunities. Contribute to build vs. buy decisions.
- Translate corporate strategy into technical strategy, while maintaining the formal architecture and technology roadmap.
- Build a strategic network of partnerships and relationships with inside and outside groups; build coalitions to work on shared desired outcomes.
- Communicate strategies in terms that are meaningful to the engineering group.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience.
- 10+ years of experience in application and enterprise architecture.
- 10+ years of software design and coding experience, with emphasis on SaaS based service / external facing API platforms.
- 10+ years' experience with .NET, Java, or similar language.
- Payments experience a significant plus.
- Hands-on experience identifying and resolving performance and scalability issues for both web-based applications and databases.
- Familiar with diverse, complex problems and adept at devising reasonable solutions or alternatives.
- Proven experience translating Business Requirements into solutions.
- Technical leader and coach, aware of the applicability of new technologies.
- Can work at an abstract level and create abstractions that clarify and contribute to system integrity across the enterprise.
- Tolerant of high degrees of ambiguity, and good at resolving uncertainty and setting direction. Willing to backtrack, seek multiple solutions, and experiment to validate approaches.
- Creative, Investigative, Innovative, Insightful, and able to make technical leaps, finding novel solutions.
- Excels at grasping existing code and identifying opportunities to improve and to integrate with existing code.
- Effective and comfortable working with high-level management.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including proven success in working with stakeholders with a wide range of technical knowledge.
- Comfortable working in an environment that is growing rapidly and constantly addressing the inherent challenges.